About anti sprinkler legislation
Despite overwhelming evidence that sprinklers save lives, reduce property damage and provide other important benefits, sprinkler opponents worked for years to keep home fire sprinkler requirements out of the latest model safety codes. Those efforts failed. In fact, today every model code for new home construction calls for the installation of automatic fire sprinklers. So, now sprinkler opponents are turning to state legislators as they work to prevent the use of home fire sprinklers.
Sprinkler opponents are asking state lawmakers to prohibit local communities from selecting model safety code provisions regarding sprinklers. Anti-sprinkler bills already being considered in several states would:
- Weaken public safety
- Ignore the proven impact of home fire sprinklers
- Take away each jurisdiction’s right to decide on critical safety code provisions
- Establish a precedent putting politics above proven safety technology
- Disregard the long established consensus code process
What You Can Do
If sprinkler opponents are working in your state to prevent the use of this life-saving technology
in new homes:
- Contact your state legislator as soon as possible and express your opposition to such a prohibition.
- Reach out to other safety advocates in your state to make them aware of this threat to safety.
- Sign up for our monthly e-newsletter to stay on top of the latest developments in this fight for safety.