About home fire sprinklers
Fires in the home pose one of the biggest threats to the people of your community. An average of 367,000 home fires occur each year, killing 2,500 people. Home fire sprinklers are a proven way to protect lives and property against fires at home.
Home fire sprinklers respond quickly and effectively to the presence of a nearby fire. When sprinklers are present, they save lives.
- If you have a reported fire in your home, the risk of dying decreases by about 80 percent when sprinklers are present.
- People in homes with sprinklers are protected against significant property loss—sprinklers reduce direct property damage by about 70 percent per fire.
Model safety codes now require the use of home fire sprinklers in new one- and two-family homes. These requirements offer the highest level of safety to protect the people of your community.
- Home sprinkler systems respond quickly to reduce the heat, flames, and smoke from a fire, giving families valuable time to get to safety.
- Roughly 85 percent of the time, just one sprinkler operates.
- Each individual sprinkler is designed and calibrated to go off when it senses a significant heat change.
- Only the sprinkler closest to the fire will activate, spraying water directly on the fire.