The Oregon Fire Sprinkler Coalition is dedicated to promoting home fire sprinklers. This voluntary coalition is a resource for information about home fire sprinklers in the State of Oregon. The Coalition actively works to educate stakeholder groups on residential fire sprinklers and collaborates with key state fire service organizations to address and overcome barriers to residential fire sprinkler requirements.
If you have questions or would like to participate in the Oregon Fire Sprinkler Coalition, contact Coalition Chair Shawn Olson, Fire Inspector, Clackamas Fire District #1, at 503-742-2663.
Grant Produces Eye-Catching Sprinkler Trailer
Using a grant supplied by the National Fire Protection Association's Fire Sprinkler Initiative, the Oregon Fire Sprinkler Coalition has produced a sprinkler demonstration trailer wowing crowds throughout the Beaver State. In front of a crowd of 75 people, the trailer recently demonstrated the rapid spread of today's home fires and the quick response of home fire sprinklers in fighting these blazes. In the side of the trailer not protected with sprinklers, flashover occurred in under three minutes. Nothing living survives a flashover.
Watch the following video of a fire demonstration involving the trailer, which includes important tidbits about home fires:
Save the Date for Next Coalition Meeting!
Thursday, December 3, 2015 (lunch provided)
Medford Fire-Rescue Headquarters
200 S. Ivy Street
The Home Fire Problem in Oregon
Home fires pose one of the biggest threats to Oregon residents. For example:
- From 2010-2015, there have been nearly 14,000 residential fires
- Nearly 70 percent of these fires were in homes without working smoke alarms
- These fires resulted in 54 fatalities, 243 injuries, and $132 million in property loss.
For more information on Oregon home fires and the benefits of home fire sprinklers, download the Oregon Fire Sprinkler Coalition fact sheet.
Free Resources Help Spread the Sprinkler Message
The Oregon Fire Sprinkler Coalition has developed a series of presentations aimed at helping local advocates tackle topics that make a compelling case for home fire sprinklers. Subjects include:
- the home fire problem and the sprinkler solution
- information on NFPA 13D, the sprinkler standard
- addressing water supply concerns
- sprinkler mythbusters
- Homeowner Recognition and Education Program
- the cost of home fire sprinklers
To obtain free PowerPoint versions of these presentations, visit the City of Medford Fire and Rescue site.
- Oregon Fire Marshal’s Association (OFMA)
- Oregon State Fire Marshals (OSFM)
- Oregon Fire Chiefs Association (OFCA)
- Oregon Fire District Directors Association (OFDDA)
- Governors Fire Service Policy Council
- American Family Insurance
National & Regional Organizations
The Home Fire Sprinkler Coalition (HFSC)
is a leading resource for accurate, noncommercial information and materials about home fire sprinklers for consumers, the fire service, builders, and other professionals. HFSC offers free educational materials about home fire sprinkler systems, how they work, why they provide affordable protection and answers to common myths and misconceptions about their operation.